Austin Motorcycle Accident Attorneys.
Helping Victims of Motorcycle Accidents in Austin, Texas Pursue the Monetary Compensation that They Need
“I didn’t see him. He came out of nowhere.” This phrase and other similar phrases are often uttered after a motorcycle accident results in catastrophic injury or death. Despite a media campaign bringing more awareness to the need to “start seeing motorcycles,” motorcyclists in Texas continue to be injured by negligent drivers.
Motorcycle accidents in and around Austin, Texas are a serious problem. These accidents can lead to extremely serious personal injuries and damages. One of the main reasons why injuries in motorcycle accidents are so serious is because motorcycle riders have very limited protection while they are on the road riding their bikes. With the exception of a motorcycle helmet, riders do not have any other protective covering or outer shell surrounding them at the time of their accident.
When a larger motor vehicle violently strikes the motorcycle in an accident, the cyclist may fall to the ground, striking his or her head in the process, resulting in a traumatic head or brain injury. At other times, when a cyclist falls off his or her motorcycle in a collision, the cyclist may fall on an arm or leg, suffering a serious bone fracture.
If your motorcycle accident was caused by someone else – and you suffered one or more serious injuries in the accident – then you may be able to file a claim or lawsuit seeking monetary compensation and damages. The experienced Austin motorcycle accident lawyers at TK Injury Lawyers may be able to negotiate a settlement on your behalf or litigate your motorcycle accident case through the Texas state court system to a favorable conclusion. Give us a call today to find out more about how we can assist you with pursuing the monetary compensation you deserve from your Austin motorcycle accident.
3 Common Causes of Austin Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents in Austin can happen for a variety of reasons. In many instances, these accidents happen because of operator negligence. For example, if the motorcycle operator violates a traffic law and causes the accident, a motorcycle passenger may be able to file a claim or lawsuit against the negligent operator.
The negligent operators of cars, trucks, and other motor vehicles also bring about serious motorcycle accidents. These accidents can happen under the following circumstances:
- The car or truck driver violates a rule of the road – When Austin drivers speed, make unsafe lane changes, fail to yield the right-of-way, and otherwise violate Texas road rules, they are more likely to cause a collision with another motor vehicle, including a motorcycle. The drivers of these vehicles are also responsible for following the posted speed limits and for taking the weather conditions into account when driving on the road.
- The car or truck operator engages in distracted driving – Distracted driving is any type of activity that a motor vehicle operator engages in that diverts his or her attention away from the road. Distracted driving typically includes using a cell phone or other electronic device to make calls or send text messages while driving. Having loud music playing the car can also amount to a distraction. When a driver is distracted, he or she can miss a smaller vehicle, such as a motorcycle, that is operating nearby on the road.
- The car or truck operator is intoxicated – Intoxicated driving is a common cause of motor vehicle accidents, including accidents that involve motorcycles. When a driver is intoxicated while behind the wheel, the driver’s vision may become blurry, and his or her reaction time may slow. Consequently, if a motorcyclist appears on the roadway, the intoxicated driver may not be able to react in a sufficient amount of time to avoid colliding with the motorcycle.
Car and truck operators are not the only common cause of Austin motorcycle accidents. In some cases, these accidents happen because of defects on the road, poor repair motorcycle work, and defective motorcycle parts.
Cities, counties, and other municipalities have a duty to ensure that all roadways are in good repair. When these municipalities fail to keep their roads in good condition, and a roadway defect (such as a large pothole) causes a motorcycle accident, then the accident victim may be able to assert a claim against the responsible municipality for the injuries and damages suffered in the accident.
At other times, motorcycle accidents happen when the motorcycle itself malfunctions – either because of improper repair work that was done or because of a defective motorcycle part, such as a defective braking system or steering mechanism. When those defects lead to an accident in which the motorcyclist suffers injuries, the motorcyclist may be able to assert a claim or file a lawsuit against the repair facility and/or the parts manufacturer.
Potential Damages in Austin Motorcycle Accident Cases
Motorcycle accidents can result in serious physical injuries that lead to weeks and sometimes months of continuous medical treatment. In addition, you may need to miss time away from your job in order to recover from your injuries, losing considerable income in the process. Fortunately, all of these losses and damages are compensable under the law.
If you can demonstrate that another person acted unreasonably under the circumstances and that as a result, you suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident, then you may be able to file a claim for damages against the at-fault individual or entity. As part of an Austin motorcycle accident claim, you may be able to seek monetary compensation for all of the following:
- Payment of outstanding medical bills for medical treatment, medical procedures, and physical therapy
- Anticipated costs of future necessary medical treatment
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity when the accident victim cannot return to the same job due to injuries suffered in the accident
- Pain, suffering, and inconvenience
- Loss of spousal and family support
- Mental distress and emotional anguish
- Loss of the ability to use a specific body part
- Loss of enjoyment of life due to the injuries suffered in the accident
In order to prove these damages – especially those pertaining to medical treatment – it may become necessary for an expert to offer an opinion. For example, a treating health care provider may be able to testify that a particular type of treatment was both reasonable and necessary – and that the costs associated with the treatment were fair and reasonable in the geographical area where the treatment was rendered.
Seeking Full Compensation For Catastrophic Motorcycle Injuries
Unlike drivers and passengers in cars, individuals on motorcycles are not protected by safety equipment such as seat belts and airbags. Motorcycle riders often suffer debilitating, life-altering injuries such as traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, severed limbs, and fractures.
You can rely on Jim and Trent to fight for the full compensation you require and build a strong case that demonstrates your unique needs. We combine inside knowledge of the insurance industry with the resources and drive to achieve the jury award or settlement you deserve.
“The staff always kept me up to date and never left me in the dark. My case was settled within a satisfactory time frame and I got fully compensated for my injuries.” — Diane (client from Austin)
See what else our clients have to say about our representation — view our Testimonials page.
At TK Injury Lawyers, Jim Terry, and Trent Kelly — our Austin motorcycle accident attorneys — have the experience and resources necessary to level the playing field for the victims of motorcycle accidents and seek the full compensation and justice they deserve. We will never settle a case unless it is in your best interest, providing for past, present, and future damages such as medical expenses, pain and suffering, lifestyle modifications, and lost wages.
Hurt In A Motorcycle Wreck? Contact Us! Speak with an Austin Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a person you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident that resulted from someone else’s negligence, then it is important that you have a skilled team of lawyers on your side who will zealously advocate for your interests throughout your personal injury case.
The legal team, Austin Motorcycle Accident Attorneys at TK Injury Lawyers, can investigate the circumstances of your motorcycle accident, negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf, and work to pursue a favorable settlement offer from the insurance company. If no such offer is forthcoming, we can assist you with litigating your case in the court system, and if necessary, taking it to a jury trial. For a free legal consultation and case evaluation with an Austin motorcycle accident attorney, please call today at (512) 910-2000 or contact us to schedule a free initial consultation with Jim and Trent, Austin motorcycle accident attorney.